Friday, January 21, 2011

Journies of a Foodie

I traveled three countries in ten days with my backpacking trip to Europe. My mother is a weight watcher's member and did the points for one of my meals. Apparently, in one meal I ate 75 points. This is enough points for three days according to weight watcher's which is why I probably gained a million pounds in France!
Apple Beneighs in Ghent.


My food retrospective begins in Belgium.

WAFFLES
Waffle Van outside the Royal Palace in Brussels
 Waffles can be purchased in many different ways from travelling vans as appears here in Brussels, to christmas market stands (Ala the asian street market style), to out of vending machines as pictured below.
Vending Machine Waffle
There are two kinds of waffles you can buy in Belgium. A square flat waffle known as a Brussels Waffle which is less sweet and not sticky on the outside or a Litz Waffle which has caramelized sugar on the outside which adds a nice crunch to it. You can get your waffles dressed up at street carts but DO NOT do this unless you are a small child or a sugar addict. The caramelized sugar on the waffle is sweet enough, adding the chocolate and whip cream is overkill and makes you look stupid. A waffle in a paper sleeve is the perfect treat to carry around in one hand while your other hand is holding your camera. A christmas market waffle will run you about 2E and a vending machine waffle about 1E but you can go to the grocery store and buy a multipack of 8 for 2E and save yourself a lot of money if you plan on making waffles a major staple of your European diet.



FRITES

Frites were invented in Belgium. Don't call them French Fries, this is an American thing as the American soldiers brought Frites back to the states after world war I. Frites stands are staples in Belgium, they are the only resteraunts open late in some towns and come withe hundreds of sauces. Pictured in the photo is Andalousse sauce, a slightly spicy and creamy sauce which won my heart over in Bruges. Also recommended, the Curry Ketchup and the Korean BBQ sauce. (Not really authentic Korean but yummy)

BEER

Now, I am not a beer drinker. In fact, I think it tastes like horse pee. But in Belgium I found one beer that wasn't completely disgusting, the Kreik. Shown here it is made from fermented cherries and is very fruity. Not disgusting or soapy tasting in the least. It is also a sipping beer, one beer will last you a while versus some beers which Americans are known to chug down in 25 seconds. (PBR anyone?)
A Kriek, apparently they make another version of it with rasberries "for the females".

CHOCOLATE
Making pralines in Bruges

Chocolate is the national food of Belgium. It is delicious and Belgians are known specifically for their hand made truffles made famous by international brands like Leonidas or Godiva. Each city I went to in Belgium had all these little hand made candy shops. They were very expensive but very cute. They did things with chocolate that you couldn't believe! Like with this one who had a whole "sexy" chocolate display full of chocolate bras/underwear and chocolate kama sutra. The hot chocolate in Belgium can be purchased from fancy cafes for a pricey cost and a nicer atmosphere or you can christmas market it for 2E and basically get the same thing, minus the whip cream.
Sexy Chocolate...

FAST FOOD

Yes, friends the Europeans eat fast food too. In Europe the go to fast foodery is called Quick. It has free wifi for all customers. The whole reason I decided on eating there in the first place and you can get all whole meal: burger, frites with mayo and a drink for under 4E. A bargain in Europe.
QUICK, eat it before it gets cold!


My best meal was at the oldest pub in Bruges, Belgium. With my friend Alyshea we stopped by for a bowl of Belgian onion soup and a croque. This is also the pub where I discovered Kreik beer as my only beer of choice.  I noticed on the menu they had a salad with gorgonzola wrapped in bacon. I am one of those baconphiles that loved anything wrapped in bacon so I ordered it ontop of my soup and croque. I was hungry!
Belgian onion soup is lighter and doesn't have cheese on it unlike it's French cousin. It comes with an open faced croque to dip in. YUM! Mix in a delicous cheesy and bacony salad and I was set! It was my best meal in Belgium and the fact I had good company with me, made it all better!
Me and the bacony goodness

The food journey continues in FRANCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment