Friday, June 24, 2011

Review- Oriano Galloni- Silent Soul

Oriano Galloni's Silent Soul was part of the Italy Quality and Lifestyle Festival that is being presented in Hong Kong this month. It was presented at the Koru Gallery in Aberdeen. It was a little bit out of the way for most Hong Kongers but I live on the south side in Pok Fu Lam, so the location of the gallery didn't bother me to much.
I like when galleries are chosen to be out in more spacious areas because it allows the gallery owner and the artists to typically bring in bigger pieces. No offense to the galleries in Soho, but they are very restricting in size and they limit the type of art that can be brought in due to the small sizes of the galleries. And you can only look at landscapes so much.
The artists at Koru Gallery


Galloni's art was wood based carving and some metal sculpture. There were also a couple paintings that tied in with the sculptures. He selected the woods from all over the world and then would carve the face or figure into the wood based on the culture where the wood was found. I find that carpentary takes a lot of skill and I have a lot of respect for it. Being in the theatre, we are trained to be carpenters for theatrical productions. I will never be an amazing carpenter but I know what kind of skills it takes and I know the time and dedication it takes. So, I was impressed with the time it must have taken Oriano to do each piece.

I'm one of those people that doesn't say that one kind of art is better than the other. But I will say that some things take more skills than others. Oriano's style of art takes a lot of skill. And even if you do not appreciate the style of art he does, you have to have mad respect for the amount of hard work and skill that goes into each one of his pieces.

And thanks to Koru Gallery for the fun opening! 
This one was super phallic...
KORU CONTEMPORARY ART GALLERY
Wing Hai Center
7 Tin Wan Praya Rd. Aberdeen
info@koru-hk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment