Saturday, March 31, 2012

Review- ODD Showcase- ODD

Most of the time when you see a show in Hong Kong you grumble about the ticket prices. This was certainly not the case tonight. Tonight I got to see a great FREE piece of NEW theatre created by local artists that was better than a lot of the stuff I've paid over 200 bucks to see. New theatre should always be celebrated because it's difficult to create from nothing. I give serious credit to the ODD Group for the hard work they put into the show tonight. Sure, I didn't like all of the pieces but I thought all of them came from valid places and were entertaining.




Let's break it down, yo. ODD was started by the fabulous, Faith Lawson who is sadly leaving Hong Kong. She strove to start a devised theatre group that could create new workshop pieces for the community. I thought Ms. Lawson's workshop overall was a success. She showed a variety of styles of theatre, had a good technician in Jenny Hann and was an excellent house manager. Everyone felt a warm embrace, got a free cup of wine and a cookie before the show. Because nothing makes a show better than a free cup of wine and a cookie!

Overall, I thought the show was good. Where I felt there could have been improvement was the arrangement of the pieces. It felt unbalanced. A lot of the really great pieces happened very early on and very close together. Some actors would appear in two scenes back to back and it would extend the scene changes in length, which to me, didn't make sense. Also, I didn't really understand why both acts ended on monologues. Overall, I felt the scene work was much stronger than the monologues and the team work element of the production really showed in the ensemble pieces. It changed the message of the show by ending the acts on singular performers. (Not to take anything away from these performers; especially the exceptional performance by Ashley Barrow to close Act One.)

Hands down, the best scene of the night belonged to the classroom scene. If you saw it, you know what I'm talking about! "Teacher! I think I broke the heart...." Bravo... David Tobin. Bravo...

There were some tech issues. One of the house lights blinded some of the audience every time the door would open to let in a late audience member during Act One. Some of the scene change music cues were left on too loud and we were unable to hear the actors speaking on stage or the opening announcement by Miss Lawson. Tiny details on what were overall a wonderful evening of theatre that didn't cost me a dollar!

Grade = A-
Take note producers! Give your audience cheap/free tickets + free cookies and you'll make them happy campers!

8 comments:

  1. Firstly, I feel this review is incredibly contradictory in its content. To say the tech was 'good' and then comment on missed music and volume issues is entirely hypocritical. This is clearly demonstrating a personal interest in the people involved, rather than objectively critiquing the performance.

    I would also like to bring to your attention your comment regarding the prices of local performances. If I am correct in my theatre knowledge, this goes against your practice as many of your previous shows have been extortionate.

    Lastly, you may also want to check your spelling and sentence structure throughout this article, as I believe the piece was a 'devised' performance, not 'derived'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your opinions. I believe that a performance can be overall good and still have room for improvement. There were missed cues in the performance last night but it didn't ruin the integrity of the piece.
      And I was applauding this group on their ability to create such a wonderful production for free. Not attacking anyone for charging, you are reading something in between the lines that is not there. I realize theatre is business and people have to charge. The fact is, this group put on a damn good show that was better than half the stuff at HK Arts Fest this year and they did it for free.
      Thank you for the typo comment, it slipped through the spell check. It has been changed.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I think you have a troll on your site...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As my first time EVER EVER EVER doing lights and sound for anything...whew! I got a "good" :) It was a great learning experience. -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good job! There is always room for improvement but it was a good show! I liked the gel choices especially.

      Delete
  4. This article isn't contradictory. It says good and bad things about a show which it what a good review does. The commenter above is just jealous that the performers got a good review. (Maybe a spited lover of a cast member?) You can like something and it not be perfect. I like your blog because it has a history of giving your honest opinion. You even were honest when you had friends in the cast of a show you hated! That took balls girl!
    I hope you keep watching and reviewing. Don't let assholes get in your way!
    I saw the ODD show and I liked it. I really liked the ticket price! Except the dinosaur scene; that one was just really weird.- Vlad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment about the blog. I don't know whether the person above saw the show or not. (That would be a question for them.)
      The dinosaur scene was a little bit out there. I didn't mind it, I did have a hard time seeing it since that venue doesn't lend it's self well to actors laying on the floor.

      Delete