Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I'm a Wild Thing... Are You?

I had very bad news today. Maurice Sendak, the author of Where the Wild Things Are passed away. As one of my favorite books as a kid I feel like one of my first mentors has passed away. I love great children's books. I kept all of mine from childhood and I still read them when I go back home. Great books like Where the Wild Things Are allow children to open their minds to magical places and imagine places where we can all be kings of the monsters! The darkness in Sendak's book is to be commended because it allows kids to explore the dark side of human nature and doesn't sugar coat. It's rare to find a kids book that is as layered as Wild Things.

I am a Wild Thing. Are you? I would like to thank Maurice for writing a wonderful book that I still enjoy introducing to kids these days through theatre. It is a wonderful children's theatre piece if you are considering it for your next season. All children LOVE it!

So, like Max I gnash my teeth and with roar declare, "LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!"
We need to dance and celebrate more in our daily lives. We need to have more fun and not worry so much. Sometimes we all just need a good rumpus.

Or we're going to become bitches and "Eat you UP!" as Maurice would say...

RIP Maurice...

What's your favorite children's book?

No comments:

Post a Comment